The case describes the problems faced by Eric Peterson, recently hired MBA graduate as the General Manager of Scientific Materials (SciMAt). He has been put in charge of Biometra’s marketing and sales. Biometra is a subsidiary of SciMat. The case study highlights the issues and challenges faced by Eric Peterson during first product launch.
Right after Eric Peterson finished his MBA School, he was offered the job as Product Manager of Biometra. He struggles to launch the new catheters for the target market but has to face various management and structural challenges during this process. He works competently but has no prior experience in the field.
Plagiarism Free Work
Best Price Guarantee
100% Money Back Guarantee
Top Quality Work
- Firstly, Peterson had to report to a VP, who was the highest authority directly involved in launching the product. However, the VP left the company suddenly and authority of Biomatra became confusing for him.
- Peterson gets promoted to the post of General Manager even though he has no previous experience of handling employees. The two job descriptions are highly non-related.
- Moreover, Eric's manager Hardy does not support him much about the product launch that leads to confused hierarchical relationships and ambiguous responsibilities.
- Eric Peterson was unable to gain support from the key opinion leaders and also had to face problems in establishing a well-managed team.
- Peterson should have engaged the support from key opinion leaders to make sure that all the important stakeholders of the company are on the same page during the process of product launch.
- He should have engaged in constructive discussion with his manager Hardy and ask for his advice and support.
- Gaining support from KOLs and Hardy can also help them to realise the misfit between Peterson’s current job responsibilities and his skills and expertise. By working collectively, they can work out to resolve this misfit.
- Peterson should also attempt to resolve all kinds of interpersonal problems that he has to face with people involved in the chain of command.
- Eric Peterson could engage in forming a team of members to give preference to the goal of launching the Biometra’s catheter that would be possible only through unity and motivation of the team members. He must inspire and encourage the team through discussions and meetings related to task accomplishment.
The solutions mentioned above indicate that there are two reasons that are the main cause of the problem. Firstly, Eric Peterson has no prior experience of the role in which he has been placed and secondly, he has not struggled to gain support from his superiors and other team members. Thus, it can be analysed that the situation cannot be improved unless the support is gained. Launching the new Biometra product is a difficult task and a person who has no proper experience cannot achieve this task solely on his own. He needs to gain support and form a team so that the product can be launched efficiently and effectively.
A thorough discussion with members such as Cantor, Costa Rican and Dr Green will help Peterson to get experienced viewpoint about manufacturing problems involved in the completion of the project. It would also help to resolve the interpersonal relations between the members. Similarly, monthly meetings must be done with Jenkin to see progress on the project and to resolve any discrepancies.
Eric Peterson is a competitive person and can resolve organisational problems, because of this candidness and sharp academic background but is skills are not compatible with the job description allocated to him. However, this issue can be overcome with support from KOLs and other team members and product launch can be made possible only through collective management.
Download Full Answer