The vision statement of United Utilities Group Plc
Posted by George on Mar-10-2020
1.1. What is a vision statement?
The vision statement for United Utilities Group Plc is its strategic plan for the future – it defines what and where United Utilities Group Plc Company wants to be in the future. The vision statement for United Utilities Group Plc is a document identifying the goals of United Utilities Group Plc to facilitate its strategic, managerial, as well as general decision making processes.
1.2. Components of the vision statement
The vision statement of United Utilities Group Plc is brief and to the point. This means that the company has not used long dialects and dialogues to delivers its opinion ad stance to the public and relevant stakeholders. The vision statement should be brief and comprehensive – it should communicate the essence of the business, and its future plans to help the stakeholders understand its business philosophy and business strategy.
1.2.2. Encompassing description
The vision statement of United Utilities Group Plc should be brief but should be holistic in nature. This means that the visions statement should be complete in its description and information of what the company desires, and how it plans to achieve its long term goals strategically. The vision statement should be a comprehensive statement identifying the company’s core strengths, which would enable it to achieve its futuristic goals.
1.3. How to develop a vision statement
The company should identify the following t be able to guide its business decisions towards future success and progress to be able to develop a successful vision statement:
1.3.1. Look at the organizational history
- When did United Utilities Group Plc start the business?
- How many employees did the company have during the beginning?
- The significant milestones that United Utilities Group Plc has achieved since being started, and when were these milestones achieved?
- Include all positive and negative milestones that United Utilities Group Plc has faced, and how it overcame them?
- What does United Utilities Group Plc enjoy the most about its business and why?
These questions will help the management and key decision makers at United Utilities Group Plc to critically assess the history and the various decisions that were made for United Utilities Group Plc and the business. These will be critically reviewed for the positive o the negative consequences they brought, and how that influenced the general business direction or United Utilities Group Plc to have it stand in its present position.
1.3.2. Look at the present
- What is the business landscape for United Utilities Group Plc currently?
- How many employees does the business have currently?
- What is the unique value proposition offered by United Utilities Group Plc
- What are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats being faced by United Utilities Group Plc in the present?
- What is the financial strength of the company in the present?
These questions will help strategic managers and decision-makers identify the need of the business to progress, as well as identify the resources needed for advancement. In addition, these questions will also help United Utilities Group Plc in deciding the future direction it wants to take on, and how to achieve and realize that direction. Lastly, assessment of present standing for United Utilities Group Plc will help the business identify how it can improve the business with potential changes.
1.3.3. Look at the future of the organization
- What are the long term goals for United Utilities Group Plc?
- What are the short term goals for United Utilities Group Plc?
- How can the company improve its offerings?
- Which processes and ideas can be implemented to help the business gain higher effectivity and efficiency?
- What is the potential for growth for United Utilities Group Plc?
- What are the secondary goals of the business?
These questions will allow managers and decision makers for United Utilities Group Plc to clearly think about where they want the business to be in the future, and how this future and its goals can be achieved and realized.
1.3.4. Identify loopholes
The process of critically assessing the past, present and future of United Utilities Group Plc is important for vision building because:
- It allows identification of gaps and loopholes between the present an the future
- It directs United Utilities Group Plc towards filling those loopholes through correct resource allocation
- It helps idea generation for enhancing business performance
- It allows strategic decision making for fueling business growth
1.4. How to implement a vision statement
1.4.1. Gathering for a meeting and idea generation
- United Utilities Group Plc should gather all employees from different managerial levels in groups
- These groups should work towards generating ideas based on what the organization stands for, and what it offers
- The idea generation should be based on the employee's perception
- The ideas should also involve where the progression of the company should be focused on
- In addition, the employees should also focus their ideas on foreseeing a potential future for United Utilities Group Plc
1.4.2. Grouping similar ideas and developing drafts
- Similar ideas should be grouped
- Senior level employees should develop and compare descriptions for grouped ideas
- The grouped ideas should be categorized according to themes
- The thematic groupings should be prioritized with the organizational offerings and values
- Draft vision statements should be created based on high priority groups of ideas and descriptions
1.4.3. Evaluating the vision statement
- Visions statements should be evaluated on their criteria of matching with the organizational offering and potential
- The vision stamen should also reflect the work environment and business potential of United Utilities Group Plc
- The vision statement should be in line with the values of United Utilities Group Plc
1.4.4. Communication of vision statement
- The visions statement should be communicated to all relevant stakeholders of United Utilities Group Plc
- The visions statement should be incorporated in the annual statement
- The visions statement for United Utilities Group Plc should also be updated, and transparently be drafted within the organization
- The visions statement should be sued to guide the drafting of the mission statement
2. The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc
2.1. What is a mission statement?
The mission statement for United Utilities Group Plc is a public document that details the values and strategic aims of United Utilities Group Plc. The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc also identifies the purpose of the organization existence, highlighting the services and the products it offers. Further, the mission statement also identifies the organization’s operational goals for United Utilities Group Plc, the processes the company uses to achieve those, the target customer groups, and the region where the company operates.
2.2. Components of a mission statement
2.2.1. Customer satisfaction
The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc focuses on addressing issues of customer satisfaction. The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc has identified its target customer groups, and also identified their needs and demands. The mission statement reflects on how its products and services work towards increasing customer satisfaction for its target customers.
2.2.2. Based on core competencies
The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc is based on its integral strengths and competencies. This is important for United Utilities Group Plc as the mission statement will highlight the different systems and processes as well as strategic tactics that the company uses to achieve its organizational and strategic goals. The achievement of the goals will depend on how well United Utilities Group Plc makes use of its core competencies.
2.2.3. Realistic and clear
The mission statement for United Utilities Group Plc is also realistic and clear. This means that United Utilities Group Plc has used simple, string, and easily understood words and phrases in the drafting of its mission statement. Clarity is important so that the mission statement is understood by all relevant stakeholders of United Utilities Group Plc Company. United Utilities Group Plc’s mission statement is also realistic, which makes it able to achieve various set goals and targets.
2.2.4. Motivational and inspirational
The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc is motivational in that it works towards inspiring the employees and the workforce towards giving their optimal best performance towards the goal achievement of United Utilities Group Plc. The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc is also inspirational in that it develops the need for growth and progress in individuals – for the betterment of not only the company but also for their own selves.
2.2.5. Specific and sharp
The mission statement of United Utilities Group Plc is precise and to the point. It is easy to understand and delivers what the audience must know about United Utilities Group Plc’s offerings and operations. It is important to keep the missions statement short, sharp and precise to be able to successfully communicate the company’s standing to stakeholders, instead of dragging it on into long pages with repetition and non-important aspects.
2.2.6. Reflects the company’s offerings
The mission statement of a company should be based on what the company has to offer in terms of products and services. This means that the mission statement for United Utilities Group Plc highlights its offerings, but ensures that this offering is in line with the values that the company stands for. The mission statement for United Utilities Group Plc, therefore, identifies the ethical grounds through which the company systematically works to deliver its offering.
2.3. How to develop a mission statement
It is important to follow the following steps and answer the following questions to be able to develop successful mission statements:
2.3.1. What does United Utilities Group Plc do?
- Define the purpose of United Utilities Group Plc
- Define its brief history
- Define the need for existence for United Utilities Group Plc
2.3.2. How does United Utilities Group Plc manage to achieve its promised offering?
- Explain the systems and operations employed at United Utilities Group Plc
- Identify relevant ethical policies in place at United Utilities Group Plc
- Highlight the use of transparency at United Utilities Group Plc in all matters
- Define the processes that United Utilities Group Plc uses to deliver its promised offering to target customer groups
2.3.3. For whom does United Utilities Group Plc produce offerings?
- Define target market customers for United Utilities Group Plc
- Target market customers from different regions can also be defined
- United Utilities Group Plc can also explore secondary target market groups, and define them in the mission statement
2.3.4. What value is United Utilities Group Plc adding on?
- Define the value additions being brought forward by United Utilities Group Plc in the customer’s life
- Define the purpose of the offerings being delivered by United Utilities Group Plc
- Highlight the importance of United Utilities Group Plc in the lives of its customers
2.4. How to implement the mission statement
- United Utilities Group Plc should communicate the mission statement to all stakeholders – employees, customers, shareholders, public, government etc.
- United Utilities Group Plc should also keep the mission statement transparent and accessible at all times
- United Utilities Group Plc should encourage its employee force to undergo training if need be to meet the requirements of the mission statement
- United Utilities Group Plc should regularly hold workshops to refine the values being defined in the mission statement and build them in its employee force
2.4.3. Goal setting
- United Utilities Group Plc should develop SMART goals to meet the strategic targets identified in the mission statement
- United Utilities Group Plc should also develop ethical grounds to remain in line with the mission statement
- United Utilities Group Plc should keep goals flexible, but the means to achieve the goals should be stringent and should reflect the values drafted in the mission statement
3. Goals of United Utilities Group Plc
3.1. What are organizational goals
Organizational goals are those business and strategic objectives that define the purpose of United Utilities Group Plc. Organizational goals are strategic targets that United Utilities Group Plc wants to achieve over a period of time. This time period is generally long term. The goals of United Utilities Group Plc help direct its employee behaviour, as well as help in directing the operations of the business in the short term.
3.2. Components of goal
The goals set by United Utilities Group Plc should be achievable. This means that United Utilities Group Plc should have the resources and the finances necessary for being able to realize the organizational goals over the long haul. United Utilities Group Plc should also have the strategic leadership to be able to achieve these organizational goals.
3.2.2. Time-frame defined
All goals set by United Utilities Group Plc- even for the long term – have an attached time frame. This is important to ensure that the organization is effective and efficient in realizing its goals.an attached time frame for the goals set for the long term future also helps in establishing a related time frame for the more short term organizational objectives.
3.2.3. Easy to understand
The goals should be fairly simple and should be easily understood by all employees of United Utilities Group Plc. This is important as only when employees are clear about what the goals are, their importance, and the urgency of achieving them will they be able to relate with them and work towards achieving them.
3.2.4. Easy to communicate
The goals set by United Utilities Group Plc should also be easy to communicate. This means that the jargon used for goal setting and goal communication should be clear and precise. These goals should be communicated with all managerial levels, and all employees to allow them a directive path to help the organization achieve these goals.
The goals set by United Utilities Group Plc should also be realistic in nature. This means that all strategic goals defined by United Utilities Group Plc should take into consideration not only its internal financial position and resources but also the skill set of its employees and the larger macro environment. This will enable the company to set goals that will sue the core competencies of United Utilities Group Plc to help it achieve the strategic goals easily, and realistically.
3.2.6. Relation with job tasks
All goals should be relatable with the employees of United Utilities Group Plc. This means that all goals should directly or indirectly be tied to the job tasks and job nature of employees. This is to ensure that employees don’t feel redundant and use their skills to help the organization progress.
3.3. How to develop goals
3.3.1. Strategic evaluation
- Assess and review the vision statement
- Based on the vision statement and company values, decide where United Utilities Group Plc should be in the next five years
- Brainstorm goals that will help United Utilities Group Plc achieve its long term direction
- Group goals according to themes
- Cluster the goals, and briefly describe each group and cluster
- Set long term goals for the company according to different clusters and groups
- Prioritize different clusters and groups
- Set and define long term goals based on prioritization
- Prioritization should be based on how soon the different defined goal groups and clusters will help United Utilities Group Plc progress and achieve its desired position in the next five years or so to develop a successful vision statement
3.4. How to implement goals
- Communicate the goals to all managerial levels
- Goals should also be communicated to all relevant stakeholders – including distributors, shareholders, third-party contractors etc.
- Goals may also be communicated to customers
- Communication of goals will help United Utilities Group Plc achieve goals by defining roles and milestones needed for achievement
3.4.2. Periodic strategic evaluation
- Evaluate the progress of goal attainment periodically
- This evaluation is done at a strategic level and operational level
- Different goals should be set for different departments of United Utilities Group Plc to help it achieve the broader long term goals
- These departmental goals help in directing operations towards the larger strategic goal attainment
- Employee training to develop skills needed and necessary for goal attainment
- Training can be in-house or out-house for employees
- Training for United Utilities Group Plc should be continual and should be consistent with the goals set
4. Objectives of United Utilities Group Plc
4.1. What are organizational objectives
Organizational objectives for United Utilities Group Plc are the short to medium term targets and goals that the organization sets to achieve the bigger strategic goals set for the long term. The organizational objectives are important in shaping resource allocation within United Utilities Group Plc as well as in determining the policies, schedules and processes that are implemented in United Utilities Group Plc.
4.2. Components of objectives
All objectives set by United Utilities Group Plc are specific and clear. This helps employees, as well as managers, manage and maintain focus on the targets and the end results that need to be achieved. At the same time, specific objectives help managers determine skill development and training needs within their departments as well.
Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc are also measurable. This means that all objectives can be tracked for progress. This is important for United Utilities Group Plc as it helps in meeting deadlines. The element of measurability is added in objectives by adding quantifiable criteria for determining progress and objective achievement.
The goal should be attainable that even in stretching the abilities of the employees and challenging them, it should remain possible to achieve. The objectives at United Utilities Group Plc are attainable in that they push the employees out of their comfort zones but remain possible to achieve.
Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc are also attainable in that they are realistic. This means that United Utilities Group Plc sets objectives keeping in view the organizational resources and constraints to be able to achieve objectives effectively and within time.
Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc are also time-bound in that they have a specified start and finish date. The timeliness of the objective helps United Utilities Group Plc maintain a sense of urgency in employees, and keep them motivated towards achieving the objective.
4.3. How to develop objectives
4.3.1. Focus on overall strategy
- Objectives should focus on the broader organizational strategy
- This will facilitate the organization in keeping in view the broader purpose and at the same time work towards achieving quantifiable goals and objectives
- By keeping in view strategic focus, United Utilities Group Plc also maintains proximity with the vision of the organization and works towards enhancing the performance of the organization
4.3.2. Focus on goal
- Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc should be set keeping in view the set organizational goals
- Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc should flow from the organizational goals, and work towards helping the company and its departments and operations achieving the set goals
- This is important as it keeps objectives strategically relevant to the organizational processes and systems
4.3.3. Focus on the time frame and skill sets available
- Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc should focus on the time constraints present in terms of resource present, as well as the urgency of the organization and the industry
- Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc should also focus on the skillset of employee and organizational resources available
- Focus on resources and skills is important to ensure that all objectives are attainable
- Focus and relevance with resources and skills will also help United Utilities Group Plc identify gaps that it needs to fill through training
4.4. How to implement objectives
- Objectives at United Utilities Group Plc should be discussed with employees mutually
- Purpose of the set objectives should be clearly discussed, and communicated with the employees
- This discussion should entail not only the objective, but also the time period within which it is expected to be completed, and the processes and means to achieve it
- Objectives should also include aspects of personal and individual growth and development of employees to make sure that employees remain motivated throughout
4.4.2. Performance appraisal
- The performance appraisal at United Utilities Group Plc helps managers and supervisors keep track of objective achievement and employee performance
- The performance appraisal also helps keep the objectives time bound through regular reviews and discussions
- The performance appraisal also helps identify skills development aspects that employees need and helps the managers develop suitable and needful strategic training programs for skill development and skill improvement
Cole, G., 2003. Strategic Management. Boston: Cengage Learning EMEA.
French, R., 2011. Organizational Behaviour. Hoboken:NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
Gilligan, C. & Hird, M., 2012. International Marketing: Strategy and Management. London: Routledge.
Hill, C. & Jones, G., 2007. Strategic Management: An Integrated Approach. Boston: Cengage Learning.
King, D. & Lawley, S., 2016. Organizational Behaviour. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Learning.
Kotler, P. & Keller, K., 2009. Marketing Management. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Perkins, S. & Arvinen-Muondo, R., 2013. Organizational Behaviour: People, Process, Work and Human Resource Management. London: Kogan Page Publishers.
Thompson, J. & Martin, F., 2010. Strategic Management: Awareness & Change. Hampshire: Cengage Learning EMEA.
Witcher, B. J. & Chau, V. S., 2010. Strategic Management: Principles and Practice. Boston: Cengage Learning EMEA.
Warning! This article is only an example and cannot be used for research or reference purposes. If you need help with something similar, please submit your details here.
- Corporate Social Responsibility of United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc 5C Marketing Analysis
- Organizational Culture of United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc Generic and Intensive Growth Strategies
- Marketing Mix United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- United Utilities Group Plc Porter Five Forces Analysis
- United Utilities Group Plc SWOT Analysis / SWOT Matrix
- Value Chain Analysis Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Marketing Strategy Of United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc Case Solution
- Ansoff Matrix of United Utilities Group Plc
- Blue Ocean Strategy of United Utilities Group Plc
- Hofstede Cultural Model of United Utilities Group Plc
- Porters Diamond Model of United Utilities Group Plc
- Mckinsey 7s Framework Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Resource Based View Of The Firm - United Utilities Group Plc
- VRIN/VRIO Analysis Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Net Present Value (NPV) Analysis of United Utilities Group Plc
- WACC for United Utilities Group Plc
can’t be wrong
I kept informing them of the significance of the document and they supplied the assignment that was suited to expectations.
Fixed time was two days for the assignment but it made me happy when I got hold of the paper within 20 hours.
The provided document of this service covered all instructions and I’m well pleased with what I received from this company. Thank you for affordable prices!
I'm going to graduate and the credit goes to this service. I picked up the thesis from them within 8 record days. I'm grateful!
It was extremely difficult to work with Management but the high grades were my desire. The experts of this service assisted me during exams and I obtained 86% scores. Thanks!
Quality paper and great service. I'm completely satisfied with it. Thanks!
Be a Great Writer or Hire a Greater One!
Academic writing has no room for errors and mistakes. If you have BIG dreams to score BIG, think out of the box and hire Essay48 with BIG enough reputation.
Most recent surveys suggest that around 76 % students try professional academic writing services at least once in their lifetime!