Corporate Social Responsibility of United Utilities Group Plc
Posted by Matthew Harvey on Oct-17-2018
1. CSR at United Utilities Group Plc
CSR s embedded in the business philosophy of United Utilities Group Plc. At United Utilities Group Plc, the business operations and processes are designed in a way that they do not become an obstacle or a burden in the way of people’s and the environment’s wellbeing. At the same time, these processes and designs boost business growth. The systematic design of operations at United Utilities Group Plc enables the management to ensure that the organization achieves sustainable business growth by reducing attached risk factors as well as through community building goals and ambitions. United Utilities Group Plc strives to increase its social impact and influence on the environment and in people’s lives- by focusing on three big goals.
1.1. Values at United Utilities Group Plc
United Utilities Group Plc works for CSR through the CSV approach. This is made easier to incorporate in the company systems because of the core values practised at United Utilities Group Plc. These are:
Respect – for every one
1.2. CSR goals at United Utilities Group Plc
1.2.1. Improving livings standards for communities through increasing employment opportunities
United Utilities Group Plc believes in working for the people, and working with the people. With the growth of the business across the world, United Utilities Group Plc ensures that it creates new employment and livelihood opportunities for millions across the globe. This is done through direct employment and contracts, as well as through inclusive business opportunities.
1.2.2. Enhancing the health and wellbeing of communities engaging with United Utilities Group Plc
United Utilities Group Plc works with communities at large and aims to help them become healthier and happier. United Utilities Group Plc provides nutritional boosting and support to communities where it runs operations, as well as to other communities living in regions marked below poverty. Additionally, United Utilities Group Plc also produces and distributes health and hygiene products to enhance the wellbeing of its customers along with the various communities it has engaged with.
1.2.3. Reducing environmental footprint
United Utilities Group Plc works towards reducing its environmental footprint by ensuring that it allows the legislation regarding carbon production and release. Also, United Utilities Group Plc works towards designing operational processes that reduce water and land pollution. All products manufactured and distributed by United Utilities Group Plc come with a disposal method to reduce wastage, and increase recycling.
2. Creating shared value (CSV) at United Utilities Group Plc
United Utilities Group Plc works hard to create value for not only the shareholders but for the society at large. This approach of creating shared value has enabled impressive business growth for United Utilities Group Plc, as well as allowing its expansion regionally as well as in its product portfolio. Through creating shared value, United Utilities Group Plc brings value to the lives of communities where it operates by influencing those aspects of the society which intersect and coincide with the business offerings and business operations.
2.1. How to maximize value creation?
Through the CSV approach, United Utilities Group Plc can create the most value in the following aspects:
United Utilities Group Plc focuses on investing in the health of communities by focusing on nutrition and medication, as well as on sanitation and hygiene. The primary focus remains on ensuring health safety for children and infants.
United Utilities Group Plc works hard with third parties and external as well as internal support systems to ensure that its operations do not cause water damage. In addition, it administers all its internal sewage plants to dispose of waste optimally without risking water life.
2.1.3. Air cleansing
United Utilities Group Plc maintains carbon units as per legislation in all its operations across the globe. The company also takes responsibility for ensuring that all its industrial sites and operations are placed away from residential areas to reduce maximum exposure of plant operations to the public.
2.1.4. Rural development
United Utilities Group Plc strives to develop communities where it operates. This includes rural communities and settlements from where United Utilities Group Plc gets its raw materials and inputs as well as labour. United Utilities Group Plc created varied employment and livelihood opportunities for these communities to help them raise their living standards and quality of life.
3. Commitments made by United Utilities Group Plc
Commitments at the United Utilities Group Plc have helped shape its CSR and CSV approach based on multiple trends from across the globe. These commitments have helped United Utilities Group Plc maintain focus in giving back to the community as well as in developing a more sustainable environment and workplace. Commitments are the long term goals that United Utilities Group Plc wants to fulfil and achieve in the following different aspects:
3.1. For individuals and families
3.1.1. Living healthier lives
For families and communities, the CSV approach of United Utilities Group Plc focuses on helping individuals attain a balance between healthy nutrition and physical exercise as a means of a healthier lifestyle and healthy living. With today’s work style and busy schedules, this is quite a challenge. United Utilities Group Plc works intending to develop programs and products to help communities manage time well and stay motivated towards increasing their wellbeing.
3.1.2. Having nutritional knowledge
United Utilities Group Plc works with the long term aspiration of enhancing the lifestyles of communities. The company plans to do it by sharing information regarding nutritional facts, and by raising awareness of nutritional intake. The company does this by not only making the nutritional value available for its own manufactured products but also develops programs and information sharing networks to help individuals learn about healthy eating and make informed dietary decisions.
3.2. For communities
3.2.1. Rural development
United Utilities Group Plc works towards developing rural communities-especially where it is operational and present. The company engages not only in employment creation but also infrastructure development and education deployment programs to help communities improve their living standards. United Utilities Group Plc also conducts vocational training programs frequently.
3.2.2. Promoting diversity
United Utilities Group Plc also works towards inclusion through its diversity programs. The company has designed programs and policies to ensure the inclusion of all community groups in the employment cycle. In addition, the company also conducts training and skill enhancement sessions for all community groups –including disabled and special persons
3.3. For the planet
3.3.1. Protecting water
United Utilities Group Plc understands the need for protecting water resources across the globe and is also an active fighter for water preservation. With the high scarcity of clean drinking water, United Utilities Group Plc works and strives to provide communities with clean drinking water through having installed filter plants
3.3.2. Protecting natural resources
With increased urbanization, natural landscapes of forests and grasslands have quickly turned into urban centres. United Utilities Group Plc ensures that all its operational sites are designed in a way that they do not harm or risk the natural ecosystem. In addition, the company works towards protecting the environment by building green spaces.
3.3.3. Safeguarding the environment
The operations of United Utilities Group Plc, like other players in the industry, are being affected by the climatic changes, and the weather alterations. To fight this change, and to safeguard the environment, United Utilities Group Plc works towards creating safe green spaces through high rate plantations. This is to ensure environmental sustainability and enrichment of the ecosystem.
4. Value chain at United Utilities Group Plc and CSR
At United Utilities Group Plc, SCR is embedded in the company DNA. United Utilities Group Plc ensures that the CSV approach is integrated into all operations and systems at the company, including THE VALUE CHAIN.
4.1. Supply chain
4.1.1. Rural development
United Utilities Group Plc allies with farmers and other partners to obtain the high quality raw material. In doing so, the company ensures that it invests in the wellbeing in the development of its partners and related communities through educational opportunities as well as various training programs and infrastructure development.
4.1.2. Responsible sourcing
United Utilities Group Plc participates in responsible sourcing. All its partners throughout the supply chain and for raw materials have been tested against set ethical backgrounds to ensure that all raw sources and materials are obtained from partners doing sustainable business.
4.1.3. Animal welfare
In all its sourcing, United Utilities Group Plc ensures that no animals are harmed. United Utilities Group Plc makes sure that all animals are fed high quality fodder, and that they are kept in a clean and safe environment. In addition, United Utilities Group Plc also provides safe breeding grounds for animals and regularly authorizes veterinary check-ups for all animals in partner farms.
4.1.4. Human rights
United Utilities Group Plc is also particularly careful to ensure that all human rights are upheld in its business operations. This includes no child labour, and inclusive diversity, amongst other things. Also, the business operations of United Utilities Group Plc also include high dependence on local workers for labor and management – making sure all local and global human rights are followed thoroughly.
4.2.1. Water, sanitation and hygiene
During the manufacturing process and value additions, United Utilities Group Plc maintains an emphasis on water, sanitation and hygiene. All plants and manufacturing units operated by United Utilities Group Plc have an authorized sanitation system in place which ensures minimal water wastage. Besides, all industrial waste is disposed of off through authorized channels only – ensuring that no natural water body and water source is harmed or polluted.
4.2.2. Natural resource stewardship
United Utilities Group Plc is also an active pioneer of natural resource stewardship. United Utilities Group Plc has devised ways to ensure that natural resources are sustainably used for industrial operations, and are not damaged during business processes. United Utilities Group Plc shares this knowledge publicly for the overall welfare of the environment and the planet.
4.2.3. Women empowerment
During its manufacturing process, the United Utilities Group Plc also ensures to employ women labour in various managerial and operational level jobs. These women are usually from local communities and are trained for new skill development and enhancement. In doing so, United Utilities Group Plc ensures that women are equipped with the confidence and decision making abilities s that they advance not only in their professional but also in their personal and social lives.
4.3. Retail and consumers
4.3.1. Responsible marketing and influence
United Utilities Group Plc makes sure to use ethical means of marketing its products. This means not only does it disseminate rightful information and data regarding the company, but also makes sure that it does not use unethical appeals in its marketing communication.
4.3.2. Marketing to children
United Utilities Group Plc is also careful in its marketing to children so that it is not exploitative. Rather, marketing to children is done through influencing adults towards the products offered by United Utilities Group Plc.
4.3.3. Product Safety
United Utilities Group Plc ensures product safety in consumption at all times. This is done not only through mentioning nutritional value and facts but also through a clear statement of manufacturing dates and batches. This is to make sure that consumers are aware of the product quality and life cycle. Also, the company mentions clear ways and processes of disposing of the products to ensure that the environment is sustained and not harmed.
5. Working towards achieving sustainable goals
The CSR and CSV approach at United Utilities Group Plc is closely guided by the sustainable development goals chalked out by the United Nations. Through working on the attainment of the SDGs, United Utilities Group Plc, and many other companies work together to create a peaceful and harmonious future that has sustainable resources and environment.
Through connecting United Utilities Group Plc’s goals and commitments with the SDGs, the company has created avenues of channelling a positive impact on society through its operations and business as a whole.
5.1. No poverty
- United Utilities Group Plc creates opportunities for skill enhancement and vocational training
- United Utilities Group Plc also provides equal employment opportunities to all labours from the local communities
- United Utilities Group Plc promotes and supports small business ventures through inclusive business support and funding – especially for women who are micro-entrepreneurs in the community
5.2. Zero hunger
- United Utilities Group Plc works towards implementing a model of less food wastage and food loss – in the manufacturing as well as the supply chain process
- United Utilities Group Plc provides subsidized products in communities that are living below the poverty line, as well as in communities where it is operational and has industrial units and sites
- United Utilities Group Plc has developed recycling plants in local communities to ensure that there is no food wasted during consumption, and it is recycled into other products needed for a sustainable environment
5.3. Clean water and sanitation
- United Utilities Group Plc strives to ensure high water efficiency and water sustainability in all business operations and processes
- United Utilities Group Plc advocates and also internally implements positive water policies
- Infrastructure developed by United Utilities Group Plc in different rural communities and settlements ensures authorized sewage networks and lines to avoid dumping in freshwater reserves
5.4. Life on land
- United Utilities Group Plc works towards establishing the green supply chain
- United Utilities Group Plc ensures that no Green spaces are destroyed for its business and industrial purposes, and also works towards creating healthy green spaces through numerous plantations
- United Utilities Group Plc places a high emphasis on maintaining regular health check-ups for all community members – free of cost, and also focuses on animal welfare for farmers
5.5. Good health and well being
- United Utilities Group Plc works towards improving the living standards and quality of life of communities it engages with
- For farmers, United Utilities Group Plc has also improved farm economics
- United Utilities Group Plc works towards protecting the children in the supply chain processes, as well as creates diverse livelihood opportunities for adults
5.6. Quality education
- United Utilities Group Plc provides a hands-on learning opportunity for young adults from local communities through internship opportunities
- United Utilities Group Plc also sponsors various scholarship programs for different grade levels in communities where it is operations
- United Utilities Group Plc has inaugurated primary schools in three different regions where it has operations – in rural settlements – as a step towards achieving quality education for all.
Warning! This article is only an example and cannot be used for research or reference purposes. If you need help with something similar, please submit your details here.
- United Utilities Group Plc 5C Marketing Analysis
- The vision statement of United Utilities Group Plc
- Organizational Culture of United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc Generic and Intensive Growth Strategies
- Marketing Mix United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- United Utilities Group Plc Porter Five Forces Analysis
- United Utilities Group Plc SWOT Analysis / SWOT Matrix
- Value Chain Analysis Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Marketing Strategy Of United Utilities Group Plc
- United Utilities Group Plc Case Solution
- Ansoff Matrix of United Utilities Group Plc
- Blue Ocean Strategy of United Utilities Group Plc
- Hofstede Cultural Model of United Utilities Group Plc
- Porters Diamond Model of United Utilities Group Plc
- Mckinsey 7s Framework Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Resource Based View Of The Firm - United Utilities Group Plc
- VRIN/VRIO Analysis Of United Utilities Group Plc
- Net Present Value (NPV) Analysis of United Utilities Group Plc
- WACC for United Utilities Group Plc
can’t be wrong
The whole class was thrilled how the professor could appreciate me because their assignments have not been approved yet and I’m not good at writing.
The effort of the expert and the guidelines of the support team are should be regarded. I shall suggest this service to my friends.
The paper was in MLA style as I requested. The writing style of the assignment expressed that English is the first language of the writer. Recommended!
I was very skeptical because I was using a service for the first time. It provided what I wished. I’m thankful!
I'm satisfied with the report that the expert formulated with full hard work. No no problem about the formation and explanation!
The paper that I received from this service was well structured and without any grammatical errors. Satisfied with this professionalism!
Be a Great Writer or Hire a Greater One!
Academic writing has no room for errors and mistakes. If you have BIG dreams to score BIG, think out of the box and hire Essay48 with BIG enough reputation.
Most recent surveys suggest that around 76 % students try professional academic writing services at least once in their lifetime!